10 Most Poisonous Plants And Flowers To Avoid In Your Garden

Poisonous Plants

Plants and flowers are bliss to have in your garden. They beautify your space, spread so much of happiness, and are enough reasons to spend some time in the garden while taking in the divine aroma and admiring their beauty. But what if your garden plants and flowers are toxic and can do more harm to you than good? Dreadful right? Yes, peeps, there are some very poisonous plants and flowers that are really toxic, especially if you have children and pets around. And there are even some common plants and flowers that fall under this category. Are you planning to grow a garden in your backyard or do you already have a gorgeous green space full of various blooms? Then you really need to know about these most poisonous plants and flowers that might be hiding in your garden among all the other flowers and killing you and your loved ones silently.

Such toxic or poisonous plants can be dangerous to your children or pets if they accidentally chew or swallow the leaves of the plants. These plants carry some toxic compounds in them which if ingested can cause severe illness in one. Sometimes the severity may even lead to death if left untreated. If you, yet want to keep these poisonous plants in your garden, fence them off and also keep your pet and children under strict supervision so that the danger can be avoided. The best thing would be if you can avoid planting these toxic plants in your green space. Let’s jump right below to educate yourself about some of these deadly plants.

Level Of Toxicity:

These poisonous plants are toxic but have varying levels of toxicity that range from major to minor to very little concerns. Some cause serious illness that can even lead to death whereas for some plants, only the juice or thorns of the plant may cause a little bit of irritation and that’s all. Also, not all parts of a toxic plant are poisonous. For some plants, one needs to avoid the whole plant and for some, only seeds or leaves are toxic. There are plants like Jerusalem Cherry whose leaves and fruits are toxic to dogs and cats. So do a little bit of homework on the toxicity of the plant you are getting for your garden and then plant them.

Below are some of the major poisonous plants that you must avoid in your garden.

Most Poisonous Plants And Flowers To Avoid In Your Garden:

Castor Oil Plant:

gardenersworld.com

A species of perennial flowering plants, castor oil plants can prove to be dangerous for your child. Although castor oil has great importance for our health and beauty, the ingestion of a castor seed can even kill your child. Not only its seeds, but the bark and leaves of a castor oil plant are also equally dangerous for your child and pets. A native to Africa, castor seeds contain one of the highest concentrations of Ricin (glycoprotein) in them which is lethal if taken orally. This toxic protein can cause dehydration, diarrhea, and severe vomiting in one. The plant can also cause trouble for the birds who eat plant seeds. So it will better to avoid planting this in your garden if you have kids and pets around who are unaware of the side effects of the poisonous plants.

Peace Lily:

proflowers.com

A very popular indoor plant that is kept by homeowners to freshen up the air inside the home, peace lily can turn out to be dangerous for your furry friends and also for you. These are one of the most poisonous plants that you should plant in your home considering their side effects. Their leaves are toxic and the toxicity can cause burning and swell on the lips, mouth, and tongue.

Peace Lily or Spathiphyllum is one of the highly used ornamental plants that are native to South America. but their beauty can be deceiving. Their leaves, if ingested, can cause vomiting, nausea, and diarrhea in human beings. For dogs and cats, the symptoms can be more fatal and if left untreated, it can lead to renal failure.

Caladium:

Istockphoto

Commonly known as elephant’s ears and angel’s wings, this popular houseplant is apt for your garden if you can be cautious about its side effects. All parts of the caladium plants are considered toxic to humans and animals if swallowed or chewed. Especially its stems are deadly for dogs and cats.

These plants are really beautiful with red, pink, and white foliage and also thrive well in low light. Its acute toxicity can lead to painful burning sensation and swelling on the lips, tongue, and throat. It can cause excessive salivation and can even give you gastric problems.

Daphne:

Daphne is a very common ornamental plant that can cause serious health hazards to children and pets. These poisonous plants have beautiful evergreen leaves, scented flowers, and shiny black colored berries. But don’t be deceived by their beauty. Their bark, sap, and berries – all are toxic to humans and pets. Also, these plants have a tendency to spread very rapidly and they colonize moist and shady areas replacing native vegetation. So be very careful before planting them in your yard. The better will be not to plant them at all as they can totally damage the soil chemistry hindering the growth and establishment of all the native plant species.

Snake Plant:

almanac.com

Snake Plant or Mother-in-law’s tongue is one of the most poisonous plants and is loved for the quality to purify the air. They can absorb cancer-causing pollutants, CO2, benzene, xylene, and toluene from the air gifting the owner fresh, toxin-free air healthy to inhale. Also, they are thought to welcome good luck to one’s home.

But on the other side, their toxicity level can prove to be threatening for pets and humans. From causing minor illnesses like vomiting and diarrhea to causing rashes or irritation on the skin, the whole plant has deadly effects on the body when ingested. In dogs and cats, Snake Plants can cause pain, nausea, vomiting, and even diarrhea.

Oleander:

news.cgtn.com

This common ornamental shrub is so toxic that even a single leaf may kill an adult. The poisoning occurs if someone ingests the flowers of this plant or chew or swallow the leaves or stems. This is one of the most poisonous plants for your garden and consuming only a small part of it can lead to fatality. Drowsiness, lowered heart rate, and shaking are some of the most common symptoms of Oleander poisoning. The flowers of the plant look so stunning but they are so dangerous. That is why oleanders are notoriously called as ‘toxic beauties’.

Golden Dewdrop:

freepik.com

How beautiful the name sounds and it also has very pretty leaves and berries. But hallo, its prettiness comes with poison. So think twice before you plant it in your garden. The leaves and berries of the plant are deadly when ingested. It can cause nausea, drowsiness, vomiting, and increased heart rate. Some may also experience high fever and there are also such cases that have been resulted in death.

Pothos:

culturesouthwest.org.uk

Beware of pothos. They are toxic to you, your child, and also to your furry friends. Although pothos is very common as a houseplant but due to its high toxicity, it is even illegal to grow golden pothos outdoor in some of the US states. You can have them indoor as they are highly effective in purifying the air inside your home. They purify the air by removing formaldehyde, xylene, and benzene from the air. But you really need to keep them away from your pet’s or child’s reach as they can cause damage to your loved ones if accidentally touched or ingested.

Lily Of The Valley:

centralparknyc.org

Looks so pristine with those tiny white bell-shaped flowers but this plant is not at all safe to keep in your garden when you have extra curious pets and children around. All parts of this plant are potentially poisonous even its red berries. It contains toxic compounds naming cardiac glycosides which, if consumed, can cause rashes, dizziness, nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain, and diarrhea. If consumed and not treated properly, these pretty looking flowers can even lead you to death.

Angel’s Trumpet:

bhg.com

An exotic looking plant with its trumpet-shaped fragrant blooms, Angel’s Trumpet is one of the most unique-looking shrubs to keep in your garden. But at the same time, it is one of the most dangerous and poisonous plants whose flowers, seeds, and nectar can cause damage to your child and pets. Basically, all parts of this plant are potentially poisonous and they contain certain alkaloids that are responsible for a whole lot of symptoms. Some of the most concerning symptoms are disturbing hallucinations, memory loss, and even paralysis.

Note that, the poisonous plants produce toxins in a very natural way to deter the herbivores from consuming them. It is due to their defense mechanism. We, the mobile beings can escape our predators which they can’t. anyway, these plants are beautiful to look at and even good to keep in your garden or as houseplants due to their many good qualities like the air-purifying abilities. But when you have children and pets around who are not aware of the good and bad, you really need to be extra careful. Keep the plants out of their reach. Fence them off in the garden. In this way, you can surely avoid accidents and yet can have beautiful blooming plants in your yard.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back To Top