Arranging a Mexican taco night at your home? Or just want to add a tempting Mexican twist to your usual chicken pasta or normal rice? Just make your own homemade taco seasoning. Yes, we know that it is convenient to buy premixed spiced packets and stock up on them but when you can make your own spice mix only with few spices that are already available in your pantry, is it justified to use that store-bought stuff loaded with all the preservatives and thickeners and artificial sugar?
We surely do not want to consume this stuff but again we don’t want to miss the fun of the family dinner, right? Then why not make your own homemade taco seasoning with all the natural ingredients? Not so sure how to? We have got you covered in today’s article.
Don’t Buy Taco Seasoning From The Market:
You won’t even believe how tasty your homemade taco seasoning can turn out to be unless you try this recipe. It does not really need anything extraordinary. It takes some common spices readily available in your kitchen to prepare this tasty mix. After you go through the simple recipe, trust us, you will be the last person to go venture out to the supermarkets and buy those notorious store-bought mixes. Some of them even contain ingredients like partially hydrogenated soybean oil. Now when you consume original soybean oil it is beneficial to your health. But when the oil is partially hydrogenated, it removes the natural fatty acids from the oil and some of the oil also converts into trans fatty acids which are deadly for the health leading to fatal diseases like coronary heart disease.
Homemade Taco Seasoning: Quick And Easy Recipe To Make At Home:
By far, we guess, you have really understood why it is necessary to lean toward the homemade products rather than using the harmful chemical mixes? So without wasting any more time let us learn the recipe of the easy homemade taco seasoning. It takes only a couple of minutes to get ready and tastes crazy.
Ingredients You Need To Make Homemade Taco Seasoning:
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- ¼ to ½ tablespoon of onion powder (add it according to your taste. If you love that strong oniony taste, ½ tablespoon will do)
- ½ to 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (roast the red chilies beforehand and let it cool down to the room temperature. Then crush it in a spice grinder. The chili flakes you use in homemade taco seasoning is usually finer than the usual flakes you use as your pizza topping).
- ¼ teaspoon of black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon of sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne powder (optional)
- Combine all the dry spices in a bowl until they are thoroughly mixed.
- You can use it immediately or store it in a glass mason jar with its lid tightly on.
- Keep your jar in a dry place away from moisture, heat, and sunlight.
- Your jar must be airtight.
Your tastiest homemade taco seasoning mix will get ready under 5 minutes and it will go with ground beef, chicken, pork, or even vegetables (in case you are making vegetarian tacos).
How To Use Your Homemade Taco Seasoning:
You need 2 tablespoons of taco seasoning for 1 pound ground meat. After your beef has turned brown, add the taco seasoning to the beef and sauté until the spices are roasted. You can also mix 1 batch of homemade taco seasoning mix with ½ cup of water before you add it to the beef or chicken.
How To Thicken It Up A Little Bit:
The store-bought seasoning mix tends to get a little bit thicker. This is because they add an artificial thickening agent to it. This is harmful to your health like we told you earlier. So if you want to add thickness or sauciness to your mix, add either cornstarch or flour to the mixture and follow the direction.
You can regulate the spice quotient of the mix according to your taste bud too.
So folks, wasn’t it really easy? Just make a whole batch of homemade taco seasoning and keep it stored in a mason jar. And enjoy your taco night or taco Tuesday every other day.