Most of the time, a portion of calorie-dense food is usually high in energy and low in nutrients. While most people focus on low-calorie density foods, high calorie foods are meant for those people who are suffering from being underweight. If you are too skinny and if being underweight is a big concern to you, which obviously should be, then you must incline toward a calorie-dense diet. Even if you are not clinically underweight and are simply trying to gain some healthy muscle weight, here are some foods that you must include in your daily diet.
Before we get into the list of the high calorie foods, here are a few tips we would like to share with you if you are on your mission to gain some healthy weight.
- i) Don’t drink water or any kind of fluid 30 minutes before meals. The fluid makes you feel fuller and when you are all full, you are supposed to eat a reduced amount of food. So avoid drinking water before meals.
- ii) Eat more calories than what your body burns.
- iii) Eat at least 4 times a day and your diet should contain plenty of carbs and healthy fat.
- iv) Between your meals, snack on throughout the day.
- v) Add condiments and sauces to your food. They will help you to gain a healthy weight and also will add a twist of taste to your food too.
- vi) Eat whole food and also whole drinks like whole milk or cream. Smoothies, shakes, and other juices are also high calorie foods and will help you gain weight.
- vii) Avoid junk foods as they make you fat but do not add to the healthy weight.
- viii) Exercise: exercising, especially strength training helps you to build muscle and when you exercise, it also stimulates your appetite.
So these were some of the simple tips that are going to help you make big difference on your mission to gain some weight.
Now we will move on to some great and effective high calorie foods that will help you build and grow muscle and will provide you energy and also will strengthen weakened immunity.
Best High Calorie Foods That Are Good For Healthy Weight Gain:
Whole milk contains more fat and calories than the skimmed milk. Having a very healthy combination of fat, carbs, and protein, whole milk is one of the best high calorie foods to have. It also has vitamins and minerals that include essential minerals like calcium. If you are trying to build muscle mass and gain some easy weight, start consuming whole milk. For best results drink whole milk after you have just come back from your workout.
Whole Grain Breads:
Whole-grain foods are always good for your health. Packed with nutrients including protein, fiber, antioxidants, many trace minerals, and carbs – whole-grain bread provides you impressive health benefits. A slice of whole-grain bread contains about 70 calories. You can use butter or nut butter as a spread on your slice of bread.
Whole Wheat Pancake:
Apart from being one of the healthiest high calorie foods, whole wheat pancakes are also high in calcium, iron, phosphorus, and riboflavin content. A serving of whole-wheat pancakes will provide you 3 grams of fiber and 8 grams of protein.
100g of homemade granola contains about 489 calories. If you are buying granola from the stores, check out the label and make sure that it does not contain high sugar. In a cup full of granola you get about 17 g of protein, 30 g of fat, and 66 g of carbs. To make your bowl of granola more calorie-dense, add seeds and nuts, dried fruits, and whole milk to your granola.
Among all the rice categories, brown rice is the best option if you are eyeing to gain weight. A cup of brown rice gives you about 215 calories. Make a rice casserole or just eat brown rice with some veggies and reap all of its health benefits.
Dried fruits are high in calories and sugar. Fruits like kiwis, apples, apricots, berries – these can easily be dried and consumed and they are also full of antioxidants and vitamins. Just munch on some in between your meals or add some dried fruits to your bowl of cereals. They are among the best high calorie foods.
A nutrient-dense superfood that is loved across the globe, avocado is a storehouse of about 20 vitamins and minerals. You will be surprised to know that they have high levels of potassium than bananas. These oval-shaped fruits come packed with a whole lot of nutrients and that makes this fruit an inseparable part of most health-conscious people’s diet. A great source of vitamin C, E, K, B6, and omega-3, avocados are high calorie foods that encourage healthy weight gain. A medium-sized avocado provides you about 240 calories.
Peas are another calorie-dense food. And from 1 cup of peas, you will get about 132 calories which is great. Peas can be mixed with soups, pasta, and rice and will enhance the taste profile of any food.
If you are trying to gain some healthy weight, you must also include beef, chicken, pork, and lamb in your diet too as they are some of the excellent high calorie foods. When you are eating chicken, make sure that you are eating it with the skin on.
Waffles made with whole wheat or white flour are excellent alternatives too. In addition to taking care of your sweet tooth, they will boost your calorie intake in a smarter way. A 4-inch square waffle contains about 85-115 calories.
Salmon and any oily fish are rich in protein and healthy fats. So they will also help you fight against diseases in addition to building muscle.
Some Great High Calorie Snacks:
- Nuts and Seeds: Almonds, Walnuts, Sunflower Seeds, Flaxseeds
- Butters: Peanut Butter, Almond Butter, Sunflower Butter, Cashew Butter – basically all sorts of nut butter
- Hard-boiled eggs, Tofu, Beans
- Quinoa, Whole-wheat Pasta
So these were some of the best high calorie foods that you must consider eating when your goal is to add some kilos to your existing weight.